Overview of Sport and Recreation
Careers in the field of Sport and Recreation promote physical fitness, social and psychological well-being as well as healthy nutrition.
A day in the life of an Athletic Trainer.
Get Career Ready for Sport and Recreation
Find out what it takes to land a career in Sport and Recreation
Earn a Degree
To work in the field of Sport and Recreation, it is recommended to have a strong background in science, health, or business. Degree information can be found in the Mason Catalog.
Along with your degree, professional certifications like these may increase your employment options:
- CPR/AED Certification
- Certified Park and Recreation Professional (CPRP)
- Certified Therapeutic Recreation Specialist (CTRS)
- Certified Athletic Trainer
- Physical Therapy (PT)/Physical Therapy Assistance (PTA) License
- Occupational Therapy (OT)/ Occupation Therapy Assistant (OTA) License
- Certified Clinical Exercise Physiologist (ACSM-CEP)
Employers expect at least six to twelve months of related experience to be competitive for full-time positions. Gain experience while you are a student at Mason.
Here are the types of experiences most valued by Sport and Recreation employers, and where to find them:
- Check with your academic department for practicum/field placement requirements as part of your degree program
- Mason Recreation
- TeamWork Online: Mason community- use Mason email to register your account
- Sports Degree Online
- Coach or referee for a youth league in the community
- Join a local athletic booster organization
- Volunteer at sport and recreation conferences (e.g., Sports Industry Networking & Career Conference (SINC)
It is important for you to be able to clearly communicate the knowledge, skills and experiences you have gained in and outside of the classroom.
Get ideas on how to showcase your qualifications to Sport and Recreation employers from the resume samples below:
Career ready Mason grads have gone on to work for sport and recreation employers, such as:
George Mason Athletics
Fairfax County Public Schools
Monumental Sports & Entertainment
CACI National Inc
Potomac River Running
University of Pennsylvania
Join the sport and recreation community
Get involved with academic and professional Sport and Recreation groups to grow your network while you're still a student.