If you are experiencing challenges in your job search and need support, these recommended strategies and resources will keep you moving forward.
- Get clear on what you want. Schedule an appointment with Career Services to ensure your job search matches your education, interests, skills, experience, and purpose.
- Use the most current and effective job search strategies for your field of interest.
- Have your resume reviewed to ensure it speaks to your qualifications for your current job target.
- Conduct a practice interview to receive feedback on how to more effectively market yourself.
- Attend to your well-being: Check out this video on Resilience in the Job Search
Job Search Resources
Handshake is a job database specifically for Mason students and recent graduates.
CareerShift is a jobs database with tools for online job hunters. Use it to identify companies by industry, size, or location and search for opportunities by experience level.
CareerShift for alumni can be accessed two ways:
- gmu.careershift.com requires a gmu.edu email address
- gmualumni.careershift.com does not require a gmu.edu email address
Note: When you log in for the first time, you can view a tutorial video on your Dashboard.
Jobscan provides instant analysis of how well your resume matches a particular job description and helps you rewrite your resume to get past the initial screen of employer Applicant Tracking Systems. Use this tool to tailor your resume for better job search results.
Get career advice on demand with LinkedIn Learning's instructional videos on all aspects of the job search for new and experienced professionals. Alumni who have a Mason email should have access to LinkedIn Learning. Otherwise, alumni are encouraged to use their local library. Here are a few courses to get you started:
Networking Events for Alumni
Growing your network is a great way to increase your chances of getting referred to a specific job or company. Attending career and networking events for alumni will give you the chance to meet other Mason grads who share similar goals.