Overview of Education Careers
Education careers focus on facilitating learning and helping people of all ages and abilities to expand their knowledge, skills, and interests.
Get details on the salary and job security of these Education careers:
Get Career Ready for Education
Find out what it takes to land a career in Education
Earn a Degree
To work in the field of Education, it is recommended to have a strong background in curriculum design, differentiated instruction, and human development. Majors, minors, and degree information can be found in the Mason catalog.
In addition to your degree, earning state licensure can increase your employment options in the field of Education.
- Virginia Teaching Licensure Information
- Maryland Teaching Licensure Information
- Washington DC Teaching Licensure Information
Other useful certifications:
Employers expect at least six to twelve months of related experience to be competitive for full-time positions.
Gain experience while you are a student at Mason.
Local Public Schools
- Alexandria City Public Schools
- Arlington County Public Schools
- District of Columbia Public Schools
- Fairfax County Public Schools
- Falls Church City Public Schools
- Loudoun County Public Schools
- Manassas City Public Schools
- Manassas Park City Schools
- Prince William County Public Schools
- George Mason University
- Northern Virginia Community College
- The Chronicle of Higher Education
Post Graduate Experiential Learning
It is important for you to be able to clearly communicate the knowledge, skills, and experiences you have gained in and outside of the classroom.
Below are top ways to showcase your qualifications to Education employers:
Watch these useful videos on creating a teaching portfolio to showcase your relevant skills and experiences:
- How to Create a Teaching Portfolio (Physical & Digital Versions)
- Creating a Digital Teaching Portfolio
Read this article to learn how to convert your LinkedIn profile into an online portfolio:
Career ready Mason grads have gone on to work for Education employers, such as:
George Mason University
Fairfax County Public Schools
Loudoun County Public Schools
Prince William County Public Schools
Northern Virginia Community College
Arlington County Public Schools
District of Columbia Public Schools
Alexandria City Public Schools
Join the Education community
Get involved with academic and professional societies to grow your network while you're still a student.
- National Education Association
- American Federation of Teachers
- National Association for the Education of Young Children
- Council for Exceptional Children
- American School Counselors Association
- Association for Supervision and Curriculum Development
- Association of American Educators
- Association for Middle Level Education
- National Association for Gifted Children
- TESOL International Association