Diversity is a Mason strength.
If you're considering recruiting at Mason, diversity is likely a priority for your organization. Similarly, our students desire to work for organizations that truly value DEI.
Here are a few best practices to get you started:
- Demonstrate your organization's commitment not just to diversity, but more importantly to inclusion and equity.
- Reduce barriers. Employers with unpaid internships, GPA requirements, a narrow list of allowed majors, and a traditional workday structure are missing out on qualified candidates.
- Ensure that your recruitment team is trained in unconscious bias and has scrutinized what your organization means by “professionalism” and “culture fit.”
- Update your Handshake profile with examples of how your organization supports an inclusive and equitable work environment (e.g., affinity groups, mentoring programs, community engagement efforts, social justice benefits).
- Engage in a customized, multi-year strategy for each population you are seeking to recruit; it takes time to establish trust with historically marginalized communities, and a “one size fits all” approach will not work.
Get Involved with the Early Identification Program
Invest in the future and build your diverse talent pipeline by getting involved with Mason’s Early Identification Program (EIP).
EIP supports hundreds of first-generation college-bound students (58% Latino/a, 21% African American) with access to educational and career resources.
Demonstrated Employer Equity/Inclusion in Practice
The Demonstrated Employer Equity/Inclusion in Practice (D.E.E.P.) program helps organizations stand out to Mason's diverse and discerning talent pipeline. Is your organization making significant progress around DEI? Nominate your organization to be recognized as a D.E.E.P. employer.
Successful employers have undertaken the following:
- Unconscious bias training for recruitment teams and hiring managers
- All-Gender restrooms on site
- Physical space is built with universal design principles
- Pay transparency/openly sharing salaries for all employees
- Advocating for pro-immigration/pro-H1B/pro-DACA legislation