Overview of Consulting
Consulting is giving expert advice. It spans all industries and types of organizations that have problems to be solved.
Get Career Ready for Consulting
Find out what it takes to land a career in Consulting
Earn a Degree
To work in the field of Consulting, it is recommended you have a strong background in problem-solving, critical thinking, teamwork, presentation, and data analysis skills. Check the Mason Catalog for degree requirements.
Along with your degree, professional certifications like these may increase your employment options:
- Certified Management Consultant (CMC)
- Certified Information Systems Security Professional (CISSP)
- Accredited Small Business Consultant (ASBC)
- Certified Associate in Project Management (CAPM)
- Project Management Professional (PMP)
- Certified Service Technology Consultant
- Certified Financial Consultant (CFC)
Specialized knowledge and training in the following areas are in high demand:
- Software development
- Project management
- Electronic healthcare records
- Environmental science
- Agile methodology
Employers expect at least six to twelve months of related experience to be competitive for full-time positions. Gain experience while you are a student at Mason.
Here are the types of experiences most valued by Consulting employers, and where to find them:
- LinkedIn Group: Consulting Opportunities
- Consulting Crossing
- Society for Industrial and Organizational Psychology (SIOP)
- Project Management Institute job board (membership required)
- LEAD Office: Participate in trainings or serve as a Leadership Consultant
- Mason Registered Student Organization: Become a leader among your peers
- Take initiative: Identify a need or problem at your work or in your community. Conduct research and deliver data-based suggestions for improvements to leaders. If possible, assist with the execution of your plan.
Demonstrate your knowledge by coming up with solutions to real-world problems. Ask recruiters if their organization hosts case competitions.
It is important for you to be able to clearly communicate the knowledge, skills and experiences you have gained in and outside of the classroom.
Below are top ways to showcase your qualifications to consulting employers:
Career ready Mason grads have gone on to work for consulting employers, such as:
Booz Allen Hamilton
Join the Consulting community
Get involved with academic and professional Consulting societies to grow your network while you're a student.